Thursday, September 30, 2010

Summer of Healing and Speed

As I posted earlier I took most of this summer to heal. I have stayed away from my Blog and purposely took the emphasis off triathlon. I haven't really taken a step back in almost 11 years. My left leg and back were begging me for a break. So I spent a lot of time just living and not worrying about diet and abs and how many hours and miles I trained each week.

Biking felt good on my back and my leg so that is where I spent most of my summer. I started to feel the pressure to up my mileage to prepare for the Quakerman HIM and it took a huge effort to squash it. I did not do a run over 12 miles or a bike ride over 50 all summer. In fact, most weeks I ran only 2 or 3 times.

As my Au gust OLY neared I felt zero pressure to do well. For one of the first times I really had no time goals. I thought I could swim well and I was feeling very strong on the bike. In fact I never felt so fast on a bike before. I attribute it to the low volume of running miles. I had no idea how I would do on the run. I ended up having one of the best races in my life. 22 mph on the bike and sub 7 minute miles on the run. If my swim was a bit better I would have earned a podium spot. Top 40 out of 500 isn 't bad.

My next race was the OlY + in early September. This race is made for my strengths. .6 swim, 39 mile bike, and a 10k. The bonus this year was that college teams were competing. They brought an awesome energy with them that was contagious. I had a subpar swim but then I had the race of my life. I was seriously moving on the bike without going all out. In fact I almost equaled my time from last year when I had borrowed carbon aero wheels and was in IM shape. I got off e bike and knocked off a 6:30 mile. Sweet. The co ruse got hilly and i slowed but kept the pace around 7:00. Finished 1st in my age group and 7th overall. Only 3 college kids beat me. Not bad being that I am twice their age. That is weird to think about. Time flies.

I feel revitalized reenergized and healed. So now i am beating the heck out of myself training for the Philly Marathon. My energy and results from the summer have convinced me to give a sub 3hour marathon one more shot. After my Boston performance last April I had pretty much given up on it, but I feel like a new man. So far so good with the training. I have my mileage up in the 60 per week range already and have gotten up to 7 Yasso 800's all under 3 minutes. If I can stay strong with my diet and get down about 5 more lbs. I think i have a good chance. 6 more weeks of busting my butt to meet my last and ultimate running goal. Then it will be a month off and then I begin my quest for a third Chesapeakeman IM. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Garen!

    Nice blog you have here. FYI, I created a community of triathlete bloggers online called TriumphTriathlon.com. It's still in BETA phase right now but I'm trying to grow the community. You could also win free entry into the 140.6 of your choice! Please check out. Thanks for your help and keep up the good work on your blog!

    Make it a great day,
    Ruben

    ReplyDelete