Sunday, January 4, 2009

Goals

2009 is, hopefully, going to be another big year in terms of racing. It is also a big year because Iwill be turning 40 in March. That is a strange thought. 40. Anyway, this will be the first year in three years that I will be skipping a Spring marathon. I will defer my 5th Boston Marathon until 2010. The reason is the goals I have for the Chessapeakeman 140.6 triathlon.

I finished in 2007 in 12 hours 47 minutes and was ecstatic with my time and performance. It was satisfying beyond any athletic accomplishment I have ever achieved. It was also freeing in a way because I really felt and still feel that I don't "Need" to do another IM distance tri. But I can't seem to stop thinking about it, so I decided to give it another shot. The 1st time I set no goal except to finish. This time I want to finish in the daylight. That means taking 40 minnutes off my time. If I am going to take off 40 minutes I might as well try to take off 48 minutes and finish in 11 hours. The only way I am going to do that is to train like crazy on the bike. Stronger bike takes some time off that part of the race and sets me up to run stronger. Therefore, no spring marathon and lots of miles on the P2SL.

All of my training and races will be geared toward Chessyman in September. Iwill be competing in the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon in April, the BlackBear Sprint of HIM in June, the Steelman OLY in Aug., the PA Endurasport Hybrid Tri in Sep, the Philly Distance Run in Sep, and then the biggy. If I recover well I will also enjoy the Philly Marathon to celebrate my 10 anniversaary of the endurance lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment